The Bible And The Weather

March 8, 2009 Posted by novelistcd

Do you remember, less than one week ago, I blogged about a snow storm in my area, and they closed my job on Monday, March 2, 2009 because of the snow accumulation?

Six days later it’s warm and sunny, around seventy-five degrees, and I’m sitting out on the deck with my family grilling hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken!

My question is, isn’t there a scripture referencing a sign about the end-times where the weather is mixed up and that you can’t tell the seasons apart anymore? I was glancing through my Bible, looking for this scripture, but came up empty, yet, I thought I’d read it at some point! I searched the internet and found the same question posted on this website. But, according to this site, I don’t know what I’m talking about!

So, blog readers, am I confusing said scripture with something else? Does this scripture exist? The first person to give me the scripture I’m looking for will get a free book(s). Or, if you think I’m confused, just let me know! I’ll continue searching for the scripture myself. I want to say I read it in either Revelations or somewhere in the Gospels? Also, I’m not sure if it’s a full verse, or just a few lines of one verse?

~Cecelia Dowdy~

24 Responses to The Bible And The Weather

1. pattybera says:

My dear Cecelia,
    First let’s say that you are not confused, you are intelligent, witty and have a creative mind. However, that being said, we are unable to locate a scripture that states exactly what you are looking for,but in Mathew,24:7-29 it does state that there will be earthquakes in diverse places, great distress, sun darkened, moon not give it’s light, stars fall from sky and heavenly bodies shaken. Could this possibly be what you were looking for?

2. Doreen says:

Hi Cecelia! Are you talking about in Matthew chapter 16 verses 2 & 3? It states in my Amplified Bible: (v.2)(Jesus speaking) He replied to them, When it is evening you say, it will be fair weather, for the sky is red, (v.3) And in the morning, it will be stormy today, for the sky is red and has a gloomy and threatening look. You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. I’ll keep looking! Just wanted to let you know this Scripture first.

3. Doreen says:

Oh and I wanted to say that this weather is amazing! I live in Maryland and it IS a drastic change from a week ago with all of the snow. It’s been a lovely day!!

4. Janna says:

I found the same thing Doreen and wasn’t sure if that is what you were looking for or not…

5. Abi says:

Luke 21:7-11 talks of Wars and rumors of wars, Nations fight against nations, earthquakes, famines, etc.

7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
    8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
    9 But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
    10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
    11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

Luke 17:26-37 tells of the evil that will be in the world as in the days of Noah and Lot.

26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
    27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
    28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
    29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
    30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
    31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
    32 Remember Lot’s wife.
    33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
    34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
    35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
    36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
    37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

6. Admitting my ignorance, I want to say I was happy find out the “origin” of the red sky at night weather predictions!

I found one other verse that may apply to what you’re thinking about, Cecelia. Acts 2:19-20
    “I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke.
    The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood
    before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.”

Tammy Doherty

7. Sista Cala says:

I too have heard what you are talking about and I will continue to search the scriptures.

By the way, how did you find Timeless Text Messages?

My sister is a novelist, perhaps you have seen her blogs; Hope lives and Beneath the Ivy Wreath

8. Jodi says:

Like most Christians, I have always heard that in the last days you won’t be able to tell the seasons apart one from the other. I don’t think that this is an actual Bible scripture in any version of the Bible. I think it is generally an addition taught (or spoken of in reference by pastors) when trying to preach on some parts of the Gospel or the end time Revelations. In the New Testament it’s mostly where Christ talked about in scripture the signs to watch for of the end times, etc., learning about the fig tree. He said when you see these things happening, you will know the end is near. The Bible also talks directly of happenings in Revelation that can have an effect on the weather, such as earthquakes, famines, etc. Also in Joel 2:30-31 it says: “I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.” I think all this is made in reference to the weather being unpredictable…seasons not being like they were years ago and things happening out of season, etc. It’s very interesting to think about though. Especially because of the way things are now, so many uncertainties.

9. Thelonious says:

This has always been an odd duck. We all seem to know this concept that we’ve all grown up with yet no one knows where the scripture is.

And that means there likely isn’t one. If it were it would be all over the internet by now considering recent developments with global warming, climate change, etc.

The closest I can figure is it originated with a rather lose translation of Daniel 2: 21

– And he changeth the times and the seasons -

But there may be a better explanation for the origin of this collective memory we all seem to share of a scripture no one can find.

I love a good mystery.

10. Kelly says:

Hello. :)

I know this topic is old, but, I came across this while searching the same thing.

As a young child, I always felt lead to read parts of the Bible (I’m 32 now). I am certain I read the same thing. It was one of those verses that I clung too, for some “odd” reason. I’ve always felt Jesus would return during my life on earth,So in the back of my mind I would always think, I know when the end was closer by the weather changes… seasons would be, “mixed”. But Just like you, I can’t find the verse anywhere! During my web-search, I have learned it’s not just a few people. There are a lot of people who say they read it, but have failed to find it again. I truly believe, with 100% of my heart, I read it. I didn’t go to church as a child, so I know it wasn’t put in my head from a Pastor.

Still Searching.

Blessings!

Kelly

• Kelly, thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment! My offer still stands….if you can find the scripture, you’ll get a free book! This blog post is four years old, and, I’ve also re-published this post since then, but, still, nobody’s found the scripture!

11. Yvonne says:

I used to have bible studies, studying the book of revelations, it stated that you would not be able to tell the seasons apart. I can’t locate that scripture anymore. Can anyone else?

• Yvonne, so far, nobody has been able to find the scripture for me. If you can find it, then I’ll send you a free book. No, I have not been able to find it! :-(

12. Emily says:

Cecila, you are certainly correct in what you say about the changes of seasons being a sign of the end of time. I have known about this ever since I was a teenaher of 17. The first time I noticed this sign was in 1949 in January when the peach trees and flowers bloomed in January in North Georgia. Every year or so since then there have been noticeable things blooming, etc. I always think about the end of time every time I see this happening. My grandmothers, grandfathers, unts and uncles would always say, it is getting near the end of time, and yes, it is in the Bible. I have seen it and I have read it, but not lately. When I find it again, you can make sure that I will record it. I am now 82 and 1/2 years old and you can be sure that you are correct on this. I will start looking again for this and will not give up. I read it in the King James version of the Bible.

• Emily, please let me know when you find the scripture. I’m wondering, if, maybe, other versions of the Bible say this scripture a bit differently than in the King James version and that’s why I’m having trouble finding it?? I blogged about this in 2009 – four years ago – and, so far, nobody has been able to find it.

• Emily, I forgot to mention that your example reminds me of something that happened recently. Back in April, it was like winter came to an end and summer had begun! What I mean is, usually, when winter ends (in Maryland) we go into cool spring weather. We had a massive heatwave in April and I can’t recall this happening before! We had temperatures into the nineties and everything bloomed early. The pollen count was high and most who suffered from seasonal allergies suffered earlier this year because of the heat wave and early blooming plants.

Don’t forget to let me know when you find the scripture. I look for it, too.

13. Jami says:

As far as I know, Scripture is clear that the seasons will never cease as long as the earth remains.

Genesis 16:22

14. Jami, are you saying that we should read Genesis 16:22 – that is the scripture which you are quoting? Genesis, chapter 16, only has 16 verses? Does your comment contain a typo?

• LOWELL says:

they are referring to genesis 8:22…as long as the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest , and cold and heat , and summer and winter , and day and night shall not cease

15. Hannah Lewis says:

Look at Mark 13 and on!

• Hi, Hannah

I just read the chapter you referenced in Mark. Also read a similar account in Matthew and Luke. Not really what I was looking for, but, interesting reading. Those three scriptures do reference changes/signs for the end of times. I do see that there will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. I did see that we should hope that this does not occur during the winter months. Jesus also mentions that when you see the leaves sprouting on the fig tree, you know that summer is near, so, when these things happen, you’ll know that the Kingdom of God is near.

Here’s the full scriptures about the End Of The Age/Times:

Luke: 21:5-38
      Mark – Chapter 13
      Matthew: 24:1-51

16. Blake says:

There are no scriptures that state you will not be able to distinguish the seasons from one another in the end times.
    It is talked about as fact but does not exist.